- Peak Date
- Years (together)
- Song Highlights
The Cadets are an American doo wop group, formed in Los Angles in the late 40’s. The group began as a gospel group, the Santa Monica Soul Seekers, in the late 1940s. The members were Lloyd McCraw, Willie Davis, Austin “Ted” Taylor, Aaron Collins, Glendon Kingsby, and Will “Dub” Jones.
In 1955, the group auditioned for Modern Records, and were accepted.
The Cadets were among the more popular bands doing R&B covers. the Cadets’ lone hit was “Stranded in the Jungle,” which they recorded for Modern as the Jacks in 1956. It peaked at number eight R&B and number 15 pop.
At the end of the 1957, the group split. Collins and Davis joined The Flairs. Foxx became a guitar instructor and continues to give lessons out of his studio in Los Angeles, California; Jones joined The Coasters, while Taylor would enjoy solo success as a blues, soul, and gospel vocalist.. A few recordings were made with the Cadets name in 1960; this was Davis and Collins with the Flairs.
The group reformed in the late 1990s, with Davis, Foxx, Randy Jones, and Tommy Turner. This lineup appeared on the PBS special, Doo Wop 51. In 2001, while rehearsing for a show with the Doo Wop Society of Southern California, Jones had to be rushed to the hospital, requiring the other three to perform as a trio at the performance. Jones had suffered a stroke, and died thirteen months later. The group brought in new bass Ed Carter.
- Rock and roll
- doo wop
- Early R&B
- Los Angeles
- July 28, 1956
- Disbanded – 1958
- Aaron Collins 1930-1997
- Lloyd McCraw 1915-1976
- Ted Taylor 1937-1987
- Will “Dub” Jones 1928-2000
- Willie Davis 1932 – 2011
- 1958 The Cadets Meet the Jacks album review Ace
- Why Don’t You Write Me Ace
Year /Song Title /Highest US Chart Position
- Car Carsh – Joe Josea
- Car Crash
- Chapel of Love feat. Eileen Reid & The Cadets – Phil Spector / Jeff Barry / Ellie Greenwich
- Church Bells May Ring – Morty Craft / Joe Martin / Richie Davis
- Hands Across the Table
- Heaven Help Me
- I Cry
- I Got Loaded – Peppermint Harris
- I Want You – Joe Josea / Maxwell Davis
- Let’s Rock & Roll
- Let’s Rock and Roll
- Little Rosa feat. Jimmy Day / The Cadets – Red Sovine / Webb Pierce
- Love Bandit – Johnny “Guitar” Watson
- Love Can Do Most Anything – George Matola / Joe Josea
- Rollin’ Stone
- Royal Garden Blues feat. The Cadets – Clarence Williams
- Sixty Minute Man
- Smack Dab in the Middle – Chuck Calhoun
- So Will I
- Stranded in the Jungle – James Johnson / Ernestine Smith
- True Love feat. Eileen Reid / The Cadets – Lee Porter / Cole Porter
- Wiggie Waggie Woo
Smooth mix of R&B and Doo Wop from 1956 by The Cadets.
The Cadets – Church Bells May Ring (1956)
THE CADETS – Love Bandit [Modern/1012] 1957
- Modern Records