- Peak Date
- Years (together)
- Song Highlights
- Also Member of
The Turbans were an African American doo-wop group, who formed in Philadelphia in 1953.
The original members were: Al Banks (lead tenor), Matthew Platt (second tenor), Charlie Williams (baritone), and Andrew “Chet” Jones (bass).
They came from Downtown Philadelphia (around Bainbridge and South Street).
This created interest among the local record companies, and in the late spring of 1955, they cut a demo record.
They signed a contract in July 1955, and gained a new manager, Allen Best.
Best worked for Shaw Artists Corporation.
- Early R&B
- Doo Wop
- 1955 in Philadelphia, PA
January 14, 1956
- 1955 – 1963
- Al Banks (lead tenor) – July 26, 1937 – late 70’s
- Matthew Platt (second tenor)
- Charlie Williams (baritone)
- Andrew “Chet” Jones (bass)
- 1981 The Turbans Lost Nite
Year /Song Title /Highest US Chart Position
- All of My Love – Leroy Kirkland
- Bye and Bye – Eddie Beal
- Congratulations – Ernie Banks / Mick Jagger / Keith Richards
- Diamonds & Pearls
- Diamonds and Pearls – William Powers
- Farewell to Arms
- I’ll Always Watch Over You
- I’m Nobody’s – Leroy Kirkland
- I’m Not Your Fool Anymore
- It Was a Night Like This – Donald Jones
- Let Me Show You Around My Heart – Leroy Kirkland
- Miss Thing – Donald Jones
- No No Cherry
- Seven Days feat. Clyde McPhatter
- Sister Sookey – Haven Gillespie
- Six Questions
- Sockee Soo
- The Wadda-Do
- Three Friends (Two Lovers)
- Tick Tock a Woo
- Valley of Love
- When You Dance – Andrew Jones / Andrew “Jr. Boy” Jones / Leroy Kirkland
- Imperial Records